Groby Heritage Group
- Chair ~ Alison Coates (0116 2876728)
- Secretary ~ Jill Waldram (0116 2873361)
||Set up by the
Heritage Lottery Fund
The Groby Heritage Group was set up in April 2001. The group holds special events and undertake heritage projects - any suggestions are welcome.
How Groby Heritage Group Began
In February 2000 a small group of Groby residents organised a 1-day exhibition of historic photographs and maps of Groby, an exhibition that aroused immense interest. From this grew the idea of having a Groby Heritage Group, to encourage and support interest and research into the history and wildlife of Groby. We were well aware that much valuable work had been carried out already in Groby, starting in the 1970s by Groby Village Society, and many other individuals and groups.
We felt that there was a need to connect up all this research, past, present and future, perhaps in a more twenty-first century networking group. With the support of the Museum Service at Holly Hayes, Birstall and the Millennium Lottery Fund, the Groby Heritage Group was set up in 2001. Because of the conditions on the funding, we began holding regular meetings, although this had not been part of our original plans.
The main aims of the Group are:-
- To promote an appreciation of Groby village and parish.
- To encourage and support interest in the heritage of the community through a programme of meetings, social events and parish walks organised by the group.
- To encourage a sense of community in the village by undertaking special projects.
- To interact with other organisations with similar interests and aims.
- To record and if necessary, protect all aspects of heritage including the built, natural, cultural, geological, archaeological, historical and industrial heritage of the parish, for future generations.
- To arrange whatever activities and projects it deems appropriate and shall seek funding and other resources for them from both statutory and other bodies.
Areas of interest :
- Buildings, flora and fauna (contact Alison on 0116 2876728)
- Record writing, autobiography, biography, records of events, or even Victorian fashion (contact Enid on 0116 2879980)
Please support the Group's events and contribute to its' studies. If you know of anyone else who would like to be kept informed please get them to forward their details to Alison or Holly Hayes. (Holly Hayes Environmental Resources Centre Leicestershire Museums, Arts and Records Service 216 Birstall Road, Birstall Leicestershire, LE4 4DG. phone 0116 2671377)